Thursday, April 14, 2016
THE 3 Rs
Waste is a big problem all over the world
Waste is not only a problem…… it’s also a resource!!!!!
The 3 Rs are the solution for the waste.
What are the recyclable materials?
THE SOLUTION IS……
……….THE 3 Rs……..
The Three Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
The concept of the three Rs was created to help fighting the drastic increase in solid waste production.
Let's start with the first R, which is Reduce.
In order to reduce the amount of waste produced, it is essential to focus on the source of the waste: Source reduction is when products are designed, manufactured, packaged, and used in a way that limits the amount or toxicity of waste created.
The first goal of source reduction is simply to reduce the overall amount of waste that is produced. The second goal is to conserve resources not using raw and virgin materials, but recycled ones. Aluminium cans are a good example of source reduction because they are now made by 1/3 less virgin material than they were twenty years ago.
Reducing the amount of overall waste is important because it conserves natural resources.
The second most important strategy of the three Rs is to reuse, which is when an item is cleaned and the materials are used again.
There are two main ways to which the concept of reusing can be applied to reduce waste :
• First: when purchasing a new item, you can look for a product that can be used repeatedly instead of a version that is only used once and thrown away
• Second: reuse is to buy a secondhand item instead of buying a new one .
· Third: the most common method of reuse is to bring your own reusable shopping bags instead of using plastic or paper bags provided at the store.
Some industries implement the process of reuse by using glass bottles to hold their products and promoting consumers returning them. The company, then, cleans and refills the bottles for sale a lot of times.
In most cities and towns there are recycling bins for plastic, paper and glass.
In some cases the material is recycled and used again as a raw material, such as paper, glass, metals and plastic.
Our food and yard material is transformed into a different product. For example, organic waste can be turned into compost.
We can always reduce the amount of waste we generate by reducing our consumption. There are also many materials we can recycle.
ISTITUTO COMPRENSIVO SANTA TERESA DI RIVA
· SCHOOL PRINCIPAL MRS ENZA INTERDONATO
· COORDINATOR MRS DOMENICA CRUPI
· TEACHERS OF ENGLISH MRS ANTONINA MORABITO AND MRS ANNA MARIA BRIGUGLIO
· STUDENTS CARLO PALELLA, MARGHERITA MORABITO, GIULIA MORALES, CHIARA CRISAFULLI, PAOLO SCARCELLA, LUCREZIA ANDO’, LORENZO PUGLIA, PAOLO CICALA, MARGHERITA CISCA, FRANCESCO LEONARDI, STEFANO FERLITO, ELYAS EL FARISSI